Moving Henszey's Bridge
Henszey's Bridge is an 1869 wrought-iron bowstring truss that has been renovated and moved to the campus of Central Pennsylvania College. |
» The bridge was originally part of a two-span crossing in Slatington, Pa. Some black-and-white photographs from its years there survive.
» The Historic American Engineering Record's report on the bridge includes drawings and an account of its history.
» Four engineering students from Bucknell University -- along with their professor, Jai Kim -- prepared the initial report on the feasibility of re-using the bridge at Central Penn (an article from The Chronicle of Higher Education).
» In January, 2002, the bridge was removed from Ontelaunee Creek and taken to the Greiner Industries complex in Mount Joy, Pa.
» The bridge was moved to the campus and lifted into place on May 6 and 7, 2002.
» The bridge was dedicated May 10, 2002.