End on

Bollman Bridge
Meyersdale, Pa.


Wendell Bollman (1814-1884) is best known as a designer of bridges for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. This bridge, which dates to 1871, originally carried the railroad's line to Pittsburgh over Wells Creek. About 1910, the increasing weight of trains dictated that it be replaced. This span was recycled to carry a farm road over the B&O (now CSX) mainline.

The bridge is a Warren truss with cast- and wrought-iron members and a wooden deck. It is 81 feet long and 13 feet wide. According to an March 17, 2003, article in the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat, the state wants the bridge demolished. It has been closed to traffic since 1999 because of unspecified structural problems.

The bridge has been documented and photographed by the Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record.

Seen from the south

The bridge seen from the south. It is located just off route 219 north of Meyersdale, slightly south of the Salisbury Viaduct of the old Western Maryland Railway.

Builder's plate

 

Flourish

Decorative piece are attached on both ends. Note the hexagonal upper chord.

Phoenix column

The end posts are also hexagonal. They are made up of flanged column segments bolted together. Such columns were first manufactured by the Phoenix Iron Co., one of the best-known bridge manufacturers.

Column

 

Viaduct

You can see the Salisbury Viaduct on the right.

Pin

Top view of a pin connection in the bottom chord.

Rust

 

Angle

The inner truss members are each made up of three pieces bolted together.

Side view

Looking south.

Track

 

Click here for pictures of the famous Bollman Truss bridge in Savage, Md.

30 March 2003


BRIDGES PAGE